Part 2 of my "Screwed" series never saw the light of day. The premise was that we can't overcome the challenges we face, because we have pissed away the cash and credit needed to solve them. Over a trillion dollars squandered on the Iraq and Wall Street misadventures.
Why, with a trillion dollars, we could:
- Provide health care to everyone in the USA
- Educate all of our children and provide activities for them while their parents work
- Transform our society and economy to be sustainable
- Rebuild our infrastructure for the 21st century (it's gotta be sustainable, after all)
- Fund a Manhattan Project to mitigate the climate problem
I think we have elected the right person at the right time, except Mr. Obama won't have the luxury of a budget surplus to squander like his predecessor. It will be most interesting to see how the new administration plans its strategy to address all the immediate problems that have been ignored for eight years.